How can we protect sea turtles?
The long history of people exploiting sea turtles laid the foundation for the decline in their numbers. Today, the primary threats to their survival include:
- indirect fisheries impact, such as entanglement in fishing gear
- direct harvesting by countries that still allow this practice
- coastal development, for example, beach erosion and artificial lights
- pollution and pathogens, including plastics and chemicals, and
- global warming, which affects sea turtle habitat and nesting areas