October 1, 2009
Ballots for the AIBS Board elections have been mailed; members can also vote online at www.aibs.org/vote.
At the end of 2009, the following positions become vacant on the 13-person AIBS Board of Directors: (a) president-elect, (b) treasurer, and (c) one board seat from the AIBS membership-at-large (board elections from the Council of AIBS Member Societies and Organizations are also under way at this time through a separate ballot). The president-elect serves a one-year term and automatically succeeds to a one-year term as president, then a one-year term as immediate past-president. Treasurer and board members serve three-year terms. All terms start on 1 January 2010.
AIBS thanks all of the candidates for their dedication and willingness to run for these voluntary positions. Biographical sketches and election statements are included with the online and paper ballots.
To vote, please go to the online ballot at www.aibs.org/vote and sign in with your last name and six-digit AIBS membership number (as it appears on your AIBS membership card and BioScience mailing label; for assistance, contact AIBS at adm...@aibs.org, 703-790-1745, or 800-992-2427). A paper ballot has also been mailed to all members; if you prefer to use that ballot, please complete it and mail it to AIBS. The polls close on Monday, 26 October, at 5 p.m.
- James P. Collins, of Arizona State University
- Michael A. Mares, of the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum for Natural History, University of Oklahoma
- Robert R. Christian (current AIBS Board member), of East Carolina University, North Carolina
- Louis J. Gross (current AIBS Board member), of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis
Board member elected by the membership-at-large
- Steward T. A. Pickett (current AIBS Board member running for reelection), of the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, New York
- Muriel E. Poston, of Skidmore College, New York Board member elected by the Council
- Carol Litchfield, of George Mason University, Virginia
- Alan Savitzky (current AIBS Board member running for reelection), of Old Dominion University, Virginia