Public Policy Manager
AIBS Public Policy Office, 1201 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC.
The Public Policy Manager works with AIBS leadership and membership to develop and implement the organization’s science policy and communications agenda, which is focused on promoting informed decision-making that advances the biological sciences for the benefit of science and society. The position requires the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including congressional and executive branch officials. The Manager is responsible for promoting and maintaining an efficient workflow in the office to ensure the timely completion of projects, as well as anticipate and make plans to accommodate new initiatives and activities. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with public policy and science, as well as excellent and demonstrable written and oral communication skills.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on science policy matters of interest to the organization and its membership.
- Formulate and prepare position statements, testimony, comments and other policy education and outreach documents.
- Organize grassroots advocacy events.
- Organize science policy briefings for policymakers.
- Train scientists to communicate effectively with the public, the media, and policymakers.
- Prepare regular written policy updates.
- Manage the online AIBS Legislative Action Center.
- Support and participate in organizational social media initiatives.
- Assist with press relations for AIBS, AIBS member organizations, and AIBS clients.
- Represent AIBS in various science policy coalitions and to other external stakeholders.
- Contribute to AIBS-wide initiatives and priorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least five years of public policy experience with knowledge of science policy and the legislative and regulatory processes of the federal government.
- Strong and demonstrable written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, self-directed, reliable, and discrete.
- Familiarity with using and comfort learning new content management systems to help communicate information to target audiences.
- The ability to work as a member of a team.
- A desire to identify efficiencies and process improvements.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree(s) in biology, science policy, or related field is highly desirable, but not required.
Some travel may be required, as well as periodic work on weekends or outside of normal business hours.
Submit a cover letter with salary history, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin 5 January 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
AIBS is an equal opportunity employer.
AIBS is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) scientific association dedicated to advancing biological research and education for the welfare of society. AIBS works to ensure that the public, legislators, funders, and the community of biologists have access to and use information that will guide them in making informed decisions about matters that require biological knowledge. The organization does this through informing decisions by providing peer-reviewed or vetted information about the biology field and profession and by catalyzing action through building the capacity and the leadership of the community to address matters of common concern.
Founded in 1947 as a part of the National Academy of Sciences, AIBS became an independent, member-governed organization in the 1950s. Today, AIBS has over 130 member organizations and is headquartered in McLean, VA, with a Public Policy Office in Washington, DC. Its staff members work to achieve its mission by publishing the peer-reviewed journal BioScience; providing scientific peer-review and advisory services to government agencies, foundations, and other clients; providing professional development opportunities to scientists; and by collaborating with scientific organizations to advance public policy, education, and the public understanding of science.
For more information visit www.aibs.org.
You can advertise your staff vacancies, post-doc positions, fellowships, and conferences to this large market by visiting advertising.