The American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) has heard a common refrain from faculty, scientists, government and private sector executives, and everyone in between: Scientists are losing the ability to communicate effectively in writing. The concern is not just about how well a scientific manuscript is drafted, but also about how routine business and public engagement information are communicated.
AIBS is responding by re-offering our professional development program designed to help scientists, including graduate students, hone their written communication skills to increase the impact and influence of their message.
This course complements AIBS’s highly successful Communications Boot Camp for Scientists, which focuses on oral communication.
Writing for Impact and Influence provides practical instruction and hands-on exercises that will improve the participant’s general writing proficiency. The program will provide participants with the skills and tools needed to compose scientific press releases, blog posts, emails, and memoranda, with a focus on the reader experience. Each product-oriented session will have an assignment to be completed independently, with feedback from the instructor. The course is interactive, and participants are encouraged to ask questions and exchange ideas with the instructor and other participants.
Who Should Take the Course?
- Individuals interested in furthering their professional development by augmenting their writing skills.
- Graduate students and early-career professionals interested in increasing their marketability to employers.
- Individuals interested in more effectively informing and influencing segments of the public, supervisors, policymakers, reporters, organizational leaders, and others.
- Press releases and writing for the media
- Blogging and social media campaigns
- E-Correspondence and writing for professional audiences
- One-pagers and writing for stakeholders
- Action/decision memoranda and writing for diverse professional audiences
Internet access, email account, and computer audio and video capabilities.
The course consists of six 90-minute online modules conducted live and subsequently archived online for participant review. Modules are spaced at weekly intervals to allow time for assignment completion. Live attendance is recommended but not required, and the instructor can be contacted by email at any time during the course.
A writing assignment will be given in each of the first five courses. Students will receive timely feedback on their assignments.
Certificate of Completion
Individuals who actively participate in and complete the full course will receive a certificate recognizing that they have completed a nine-hour professional development course on business writing for scientists.
- $460/person: Individual Registraion
- $390/person: Individuals nominated to participate by an AIBS Member Society or Organization (MSO) in good standing.
Senior Editor, BioScience
American Institute of Biological Sciences
Space is limited and the course will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
The program registration has now closed. The program will next be offered again in 2021. To receive updates on this program, please complete the below form.