How to market yourself, excel at interviews, and secure the job you desire
Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) graduate programs in the United States do an excellent job of preparing students for careers in academia. As early career professionals and a growing number of reports note, however, many recent STEM graduates (including those with advanced degrees) are interested in employment in sectors beyond the professoriate by the time they complete their degree.
Scientists continue to report that they feel ill-prepared and ill-equipped to pursue employment in these settings.
To help scientists identify and successfully transition into the careers they desire, the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) developed a program to help scientists hone and practice the skills needed to secure employment. AIBS’s Employment Acquisition Skills Boot Camp for Scientists is an intensive multi-day program that blends lecture and hands-on exercises. Designed by scientists with years of work experience in diverse settings and a career coach, this program provides graduate students to senior scientists with the information, tools, and resources required to successfully identify and secure employment in a diversity of careers, including science policy, communications, researchers or program managers in the private sector, research funding organizations, non-profit management, international development, government agencies, and others.
Course participants will:
- Identify and clarify career interests and opportunities by reviewing currently available jobs;
- Learn to communicate their knowledge and skills to employers by providing tools and activities;
- Develop strategies for finding employment;
- Develop application materials with feedback from instructors;
- Prepare for and practice different interview styles and scenarios.
Who should take this course?
Current graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, and scientists interested in transitioning to a new employment sector.
The registration fee covers instruction, materials, and resources.
- Individual Rate: $275.00/person
- Nominated by AIBS Member Organization: $225.00/person
- Group Rate*:$225.00/person
*More than 4 individuals from the same organization being paid for by a single source.