The Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) is currently accepting applications for two positions from highly qualified candidates with outstanding academic and technical credentials, and a passion for advancing and improving the science/policy interface, in the areas of Biodiversity and Chemicals.
The successful candidate must have:
- An advanced degree, preferably a PhD in a field directly related to the position;
- Minimum 15 years experience in scientific research - and the application of results to real-world issues;
- Ability to work cross-sectorally in areas of importance related to their field of expertise;
- Capable of bridging scientific, technological, and policy issues;
- Capable of linking bio-physical and economic, socio-economic/sociocultural issues;
- Experience working in developing countries and in the context of multi-lateral environmental assistance;
- Demonstrated ability to manage scientific research undertakings involving multiple stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills, orally or written.
- Understanding of the assigned GEF focal area, its strategic objectives, and linkages with other GEF focal areas is an asset.
- Extensive access to scientific networks, and demonstrated ability to engage these networks;
- Demonstrated expertise and leadership in one of the thematic areas noted above, supported by (but not restricted to) the candidate’s peer-reviewed publication record;
- Knowledge of the scientific processes required for the implementation of relevant conventions in developing countries for which the GEF supports.
A STAP Panel Member is expected to provide 60 to 90 days per year to the work of STAP. Remuneration is based on UN scales for senior consultants. A full description of responsibilities, and application forms, are available at: http://www.stapgef.org/notice-of-recruitment-biodiversity-and-chemicals-waste-panel-members-2014/. Applications along with a cover letter should be sent to Recruitment.STAPGEF@UNEP.org, quoting the relevant vacancy reference number in the subject line of your email. All applications should be sent on or before the deadline of 31 January 2014.
back to Public Policy Reports