January 3, 2018
The AIBS Public Policy Office has released its annual report for 2017. Read about our achievements in science policy.
- Taught 14 professional development workshops that trained 411 scientists and
graduate students to successfully communicate their research with decisionmakers
and reporters, to improve their writing skills, or to work effectively on
- Facilitated 133 meetings with federal and state lawmakers.
- Opposed policies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency barring
agency-funded scientists from serving on scientific advisory panels and a
proposal for a "red team/blue team" exercise to challenge climate science.
- Issued a statement to voice concerns about the potential censorship of
scientific words at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Rallied the scientific community to successfully oppose negative impacts of the
tax reform bill on graduate students tuition waivers. The provision was defeated.
Read the 2017 annual report.