Stipulating the Particulars
This is the place for details on using our websites, how we keep your data private, and about your rights.
Table of Contents
AIBS engages with our audience via websites, emails, newsletters, peer review projects, meetings, webinars, workshops, and more. To do that in a modern and efficient way, we provide technology resources, and sometimes retains people’s data in electronic systems.
Changes to Terms and Policies
Sometimes we may make changes to the terms and policies here. Each section of this page will always show the date of the last change, as well as the most up-to-date content.
» Last updated: 10/23/2020
The purpose of this website is to provide visitors’ professional and personal information, education, and as a means to interact with AIBS and our services. As such, please note:
- Visitors agree that, for this website, systems and networks connected to this website, and services offered through this website: they will not take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure, not scan or test for vulnerability, not attempt to gain unauthorized access, and not breach the security or authentication measures.
- Unless otherwise specified, all logos, graphics, text, visual interfaces, photos, and computer code (ie: “content”), including but not limited to the design, structure, “look and feel”, and arrangement of the content presented on this website is owned and controlled by AIBS, and is protected by copyright and trademark laws as well as other intellectual property rights and laws.
- Except as expressly provided in these terms, no content and no part of the website may be copied, reproduced, republished, transmitted, or distributed in any way, using any website or other medium for publication or distribution without AIBS’s express prior written consent.
- Visitors are responsible for their own use of this website, and shall be responsible for any information they submit.
» Last updated: 10/23/2020
How do we collect your data, and what data is collected?
- When data is collected, it is always encrypted in transit.
- Your data will be submitted either directly to our web hosting partner’s server, or directly to our form-hosting partner.
- Data collected may have included: your name, organization and possibly department, mailing and/or email addresses, phone number, social media handle(s), areas of scientific training or interest, preferences related to offered programs or events, email subject and body, contact preferences, and possibly other additional details specified on forms.
- Or, we may also have obtained data from you during past interactions with AIBS, because communicating with and understanding the needs of biologists and scientists was a primary reason for AIBS’s founding.
Will we transfer your data, and how will it be stored?
- Data from newsletter signup will transferred to, and stored with, one newsletter partner.
- Data from workshop signup and contact submissions will be submitted directly to, and stored with, our form-hosting partner.
- All data will be encrypted in transit and also stored encrypted at rest.
How will we use your data?
- For newsletter signup, a partner will use your data to deliver you emails with up-to-date news from a wide variety of biology and science sources. When you click on items of interest to you, the provider will use your actions to understand your preferences and tailor your future emails with them in mind.
- For workshop signup we will use your data to register you for the event, and communicate with you about the event.
- For contact submissions, we will use your data to respond to your query.
- We will use your data for the purposes described here. We will not sell or provide your data to others for the purposes of marketing, or any other use.
- Our analytics partner may provide us anonymous visitor demographics data, including: age, gender, and interests. Any IP addresses collected are anonymized and obfuscated.
- We share analytics data from some websites with consultants who advise on best practices.
- Our cookies, and the subsequent analytics data, do not include, process, or store personally identifiable information.
Your data belongs to you, and you have rights…
- When relevant, you have the right to see which data of yours we hold (fees may apply).
- When relevant, you have the right to request corrections to your data.
- Under certain conditions, you have the right to request we restrict processing of your data.
- Under certain conditions, you have the right to object to processing of your data.
- Under certain conditions, you have the right to request we erase your data.
- Under certain conditions, you have the right to request we transfer your data to another organization, or directly to you.
To contact us about privacy or data protection requests or concerns, please use our contact form, and be sure to choose the “Privacy & Data Protection” option for the “Department” field.
If you feel we have not addressed concerns or issues about data privacy you may submit a complaint to the relevant authorities.
- If you are a citizen of the European Union, this wizard may help you obtain appropriate contact details.
- If you are a resident of California, this website may help you obtain appropriate contact details.