Who We Are
We are a non-profit 501(c)3 public charity organization that advances the biological sciences for the benefit of all science and society. We work with like-minded organizations, funding agencies, and political entities to promote the use of science to inform decision-making.
To advance the biological sciences to promote increased understanding of all life.
To promote the use of science to inform decision-making and advance biology for the benefit of science and society.
What We Do
We support the biological sciences through our work, including:
- Publication of BioScience, our scientific journal
- Peer review of research proposals and programs for funding organizations
- Professional development for scientists and students
- Advocacy in science policy
- Educating the public about biology
In recent years, we have:
- Trained more than 2,000 scientists to be effective communicators, science advocates, and team scientists
- Recognized by The Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections for advocacy on behalf of biodiversity collections and natural history museums
- Disseminated high impact research through BioScience – a top 5 biology journal with an impact factor of 8.2
- Published 2 top 10 papers as ranked by Altmetric
- Conducted research to improve peer-review of scientific research proposals
- Launched a research initiative to understand bias in peer-review
- Launched Building Resilient Scientific Societies and Organizations – a program to help organizations respond to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Led the effort to develop the Extended Specimen Network – a strategic vision to guide future integrative research and education involving biological specimens
- Advocated for COVID-19 relief for scientific research and education organizations
- Expanded and diversified our peer review services, with over 15 new clients in the past five years
118 Member Organizations Strong
AIBS is made up of a diverse group of scientific organizations. Our 118 member organizations includes scientific societies, museums, botanic gardens, and universities.
Who We Are
Our staff has expertise in peer review, scientific publishing, science policy, communications, and technology.
The people who work here are passionate and dedicated to the advancement of biology and science. If you'd like to learn more about working at AIBS, visit us on LinkedIn.
Since 1947, AIBS has been a leader in the biological sciences. Learn more about our history.