On 12 May 2011, United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced that it was expanding the list of degree fields that would allow students on visas to stay in the United States after graduating from college.

Typically, foreign graduates have 12 months after completing their degree to gain employment and seek a H1-B visa, otherwise they are forced to leave the country. Graduates of certain science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) degree programs can work for up to 29 months after graduation without changing their visa status.

Some of the degrees recently added include environmental science, marine science, neuroscience, and agronomy and crop science. To view the full list of exempted degrees, visit http://www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm.

According to the National Science Foundation, about 103,000 science and engineering degrees were awarded in the U.S. to non-residents in 2007.


back to Public Policy Reports

Bookmark and Share