- Launched a national initiative to build a biocollections community that is able to
fully implement the goals of the Network Integrated Biocollections Alliance.
- Hosted a workshop--with support from the National Science Foundation--on complex biological data integration.
- Convened a workshop and facilitated the development of an Implementation Plan for a Network Integrated Biocollections Alliance.
- Rallied the scientific community in opposition to federal budget sequestration.
- Facilitated the participation of scientists with lawmakers in Washington, DC through Congressional Visits Day and around the nation through the Biological Sciences Congressional District Visits event.
- Provided input on legislation that would set future funding and policy directions for federally supported basic research programs, including the National Science Foundation.
- Orchestrated a successful campaign that resulted in the National Science
Foundation reversing a decision to suspend a program.
- Enabled thousands of scientists to communicate the importance of federal investments in scientific research and education to federal lawmakers through the AIBS Legislative Action Center.
- Trained scientists and students on how to effectively communicate with
decision makers and the news media.
- Contributed to efforts to defend the integrity of peer-review and to prevent political forces from defunding specific branches of science and lines of inquiry.
- Provided timely and accurate policy news and analysis to thousands of scientists and decision-makers via the AIBS Public Policy Report and the Washington Watch column in BioScience.
Support the AIBS Public Policy Office so that, working together and speaking with one voice, we can more effectively promote the biological sciences.