December 2, 2013
2nd Life Discovery-Doing Science Education Conference
October 3-4, 2014
San José State University, San José CA
Realizing Vision and Change, Preparing for Next Generation Biology
The theme for the 2nd Life Discovery - Doing Science Conference (LDC) focuses on innovative approaches to instruction and assessment that are suitable, scalable, and adaptable to secondary and post-secondary levels of education, aligning with the objectives of both the K12 Next Generation Science Standards and the Vision and Change for Undergraduate Biology Education.
Available Session Formats
You can choose to present one of three session formats:
Now Accepting proposals for Hands-On Workshops through 1/15/2014
This session format is designed to give participants hands-on experience to implement a particular technique or activity or develop innovative appropriate approaches to curriculum design. One and two hour sessions are available.
- 2/15/14 Short presentations
- 3/15/14 Education Share Fair Roundtables
Find out more about other Session formats.
- Dynamic Teaching/Active Learning: Content, curriculum, and lesson plan resources.
- Hands On/Minds Engaged: Field studies, lab investigations, and data exploration.
- Assess Learning/Adapt Teaching: Education research, formative assessment, and proficiencies.
Cross Cutting Topics:
- Ecology and Earth Systems Dynamics: The complex interrelationships among Earth’s living and physical systems and their responses to environmental disturbances.
- Evolution in Action: The drivers, mechanisms and outcomes of biological change - gradual or dramatic - through genetic inheritance.
- Structure and Function: The relationship between the structure of biological components - from the molecular level to the whole organism - and their function and behavior in living systems
The Life Discovery ? Doing Science Education Conference is a partnership effort among Ecological Society of America, the Botanical Society of America, the Society for the Study of Evolution and the Society for Economic Botany.
- Animal Behavior Society (ABS)
- American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS)
- Disciplinary Associations Network for Sustainability
- GLOBE program
- The Nature Conservancy LEAF program
- US Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development