The American Institute of Biological Sciences, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit scientific association with individual and organizational members seeks a Public Policy/Affairs Associate to join its energetic Public Policy Office. The Associate will work to develop and help advance science policy and media relations initiatives. Responsibilities include working on legislative and regulatory policy issues; developing and maintaining communications and media relations programs; writing press releases; writing policy analyses for online and print publications; making public presentations and representing AIBS in a variety of settings.
1. Excellent and demonstrable written and oral communication skills;
2. Excellent and demonstrable science policy analysis skills;
3. Understanding and appreciation of the scientific community, the nature of science, and the goals and objectives of a professional, membership organization such as AIBS;
4. Reliable, detail-oriented, and able to work under strict time constraints;
5. Ability to self-direct, think creatively, and anticipate work needs as part of a team of public policy professionals;
6. Ability to synthesize and accurately communicate complex concepts to varied audiences;
7. Possess common sense and good judgment;
8. Strong interpersonal skills and sense of humor;
9. A Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences, science policy, or a closely related field. A graduate degree is highly desirable.
10. Prior work experience in public policy/affairs is highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position in Washington, DC. Salary is commensurate with experience. AIBS offers a competitive benefits package that includes a retirement plan, health and disability insurance, paid annual and sick leave, and paid holidays.
For further details and application requirements, go to http://www.aibs.org/classifieds/aibspositionsavailable.html#4872.
back to Public Policy Reports